Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

So You Want to Be a Goetic Shaman? Question and answer forum for the discussion of anything related to the Goetia (including the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum) with especial regard to using the daemons in non-traditional ways.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Izabael DaJinn

Default Goetic demons and Voudoo Veve

This will be a thread to pull together what we know about the relationship between Goetia and Voudoo/Voodoo Veve.

I searched online and man people have noticed similarities, but there isn't a lot of hard info. This post was decent:

Quote:
Unsu...

Re: Goetia/Voudou connection Tue, December 18, 2007 - 2:48 PM
When I first moved to New Orleans (1995), I noticed that there were a few occult stores that sold little slips of parchment style paper with symbols that looked a lot like Goetic sigils, but had the names of Haitian Lwa. The symbols didn't resemble any ve-ves that I knew of, and inquiries didn't take me too far at the time so I just dismissed it then. A couple years later I found a book in Charles Gandolfo's library written by Robert Pelton that seems to have been the source for those particular Talismans ("talismans" is the name that they were being sold as in the stores). My conclusion is that Pelton took a basic book such as "Secrets of Voodoo" or "Voodoo in Haiti", used the names of the Lwa and then chose certain sigils from the Goetia for convenience or some other reason. It also seemed to me that he simply altered a small detail here or there. I forgot what the name of the book was, as I never saw it again, and the copy I looked through was pretty old- from the 50s maybe.
Around 1998 another fancy Wicca shop was selling the Goetic looking sigils in the form of silver pendants. I asked the young man at the counter about them and he swore that they were actually authentic veves used by a bona fide New Orleans Voodoo group from around Marie Laveau's time. Having gotten use to hearing such claims around New Orleans, I knew better than to try to contradict his statements, so I just stuck to my own conclusions. However, it would have been nice if his claims could have actually been proven, or at least if there was factual evidence that Goetic symbols were being used by New Orleans Voodooists at the turn of the 20th century. Rumor has it that Eliphaz Levi was popular in Haiti around then... According to Robert Tallant, there was a newspaper article from about 1840 that reports a Voodoo ceremony that included a big rag doll covered in qabalistic symbols. I would have been interested to know what actual symbols were used.

B
ABA
ZABAE
IZABAEL
ZABAE
ABA
B
Izabael DaJinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Xophier

Dec 18 is my birthday... that's pretty cool!

Actually, a friend on facebook kind of answered this question to an extent. When French slavemasters came into these Southern lands and islands, with them, they brought ceremonial magickal grimoires. They were documented as anointing their slaves to work as tools and assistance to these workings. These slaves were later trusted with the books, which were passed on, copied, and mixed into their tribal basis religion with Christianity's God(s) as the helm... this was more to keep them alive and not killed for being heathens I can guess. Since these are often called spirits, I doubt it's hard to link spirit reverence with ancestor reverence.
Xophier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Xophier

http://www.jwmt.org/v1n10/modern.html

This is actually a really cool proof of concept. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently.
Xophier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Poete Maudit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xophier View Post
http://www.jwmt.org/v1n10/modern.html

This is actually a really cool proof of concept. I can't believe I didn't know about it until recently.
Tripe. The tradition of veves goes back to the Congo. They have nothing to do, historically, with the sigils of 'Western magic'. And those 'veves' in Leitch's article are not any for Erzulie Freda or Papa Legba that I've ever seen.
Poete Maudit is offline   Reply With Quote