Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Beginner's Magick Forum This is a safe haven for magick and occult newbies. The rest of the forums may bite, but here Izabael will assist with beginner's questions on magick and demonology (daemonology).

Old 03-20-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
Philoop

Default Getting more out of meditation

I meditate about every night. It may not be for a long time I usually do it for about a half before I fall asleep in bed. I find it helps with stress and relaxation. I achieve this through breathing techniques such as the four fold breath.I want to quit and find myself thinking of it as a chore to meditate. I dont want to quit, how can i Get more out of meditation?
Philoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
thorhammer

Hi, Philoop I'm no expert and quite new to the regular practice of meditation myself, but I find that it helps me to have an "objective" before I start. So, assumption of a God-form, or chanting IAO or the Ohm, or visualisation of simple geometric shapes. I haven't gone much beyond that at this point, though I have had some interesting chats with Hadit, Nuit, Babalon and Therion when I've meditated directly after doing a variation of the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. They're characters

At this point, I'm still reeling from the powerful messages I get when I assume the God-form of Hoor-Pa-Kraat, which was one of the suggested meditation focuses in Rodney Orpheus' Abrahadabra, which I found to be a fantastic book (in so far as it gave me a solid kick in the pants :P).

I'll be interested in the other replies you get to this, as I need to work on it myself
thorhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
ceewayne

That fact you are doing it on a regular basis is very good. Like what Thorhammer suggests, adding other things to your mediation, like Ritual. We have a very good variation of the LBRP
here

May I ask what you are wanting out of all this? Maybe then we can suggest somethings for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
ceewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
nytek

Default Shazam.

I'd rather show you what I have to contribute right here:

00.) www.bittorrent.com (Download the BitTorrent client software. You will need this to download the next files I will recommend for you. Run, install, and open the client. Then open the sites below, and click "download torrent". In response to downloading the small file and opening it, BitTorrent will load this small file and you will then be able to start your download therein.)

0.) http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html (A FLAC Lossless Audio player ... your average mp3 loses quality in compression to that format and thus the binaural tones suffer and thus you might as well not be listening to them without this player in most cases. VLC player will play FLAC format and practically anything audio or video as well. A great tool to have....).

1.) http://www.torrenthound.com/hash/23c...-enlightenment (The Science of Enlightenment by Shinzen Young. Dear Gods this must be downloaded at once. Over a gig of wisdom I've had the great good fortune to come across. He explains things I know and hadn't known in a way that I wish I could have experienced years ago.)

2.) http://www.kickasstorrents.com/holos...c-t667389.html (Holosync - "Awakening" - Level 1 of many (FLAC) -- Binaural tones mechanically stimulate certain brainwaves guiding you into meditations as deep as seasoned yogis can obtain and right away. My Berkeley College of Music schooled sound engineer friend who isn't even into meditation anymore still nearly had a stroke from excitement when he heard this technology the first time, merely because it's mixed to sound as if it comes from the center of your head when used with headphones! Readily you can begin to see how such a thing helps focus you for deep meditation. This program starts off with much background noise like waves and then gradually, as the levels progress higher, becomes more powerful and raw binaural tones.)

3.) http://www.kickasstorrents.com/hypno...n-t663488.html (Hypnotica - "Sphinx of Imagination". A guided meditation or pathworking into the recesses of your mind to face fears and overcome obstacles in growth. Not as general purpose as the above files, but still a damn great binaural tone laden piece of work with hypnotic embedded commands.)

4.) http://www.kickasstorrents.com/brain...c-t570506.html (Brainwave Mind Voyages IV - "Theta Brainwaves" Theta brainwave entrainment, theta states being related to hypnogogia, have been useful for me in communication with spirits and receiving their impressions and messages when in dialogue in particular out of several uses.)

5.) http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Brainwav...c5ce5c27932173 (Brainwave Mind Voyages III - "Alpha Brainwaves". The relaxed but focused state of the alpha brainwave has been most useful for me in terms of working magick in my experience.)

Lastly there is something you cannot download but must buy: http://www.wilddivine.com/servlet/-s...age-OEM/Detail
This is The Journey to Wild Divine, which I've had the pleasure of owning for some time. It's a home biofeedback unit with exercises built into a journey you must travel as games; games that allow you to see when you are meditating properly and when you are not meditating properly depending on your goal. There is everything from zen archery in there to juggling and it all is powered by your mind-state as measured through your skin's electroconductivity and pulse rate. AMAZING. I am in the scientific journals as a guinea pig for biofeedback technology and my contribution is recorded in the medical journals even. This and the results of others in the first few experiments raising balloons and the likes on a screen with our minds is a part of the reason why biofeedback technology is respected today. I repeat, biofeedback is a highly respected area proven with rigorous clinical research. I cannot but recommend this with enthusiasm if you're into meditation at all.

-Fiat Lux-
Nytek

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

--C.G. JUNG

Last edited by nytek; 03-21-2010 at 08:09 AM.
nytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
nytek

Default Samadhi Lamp and Tratakam

I originally found this on another BBS a long while ago and put it to use with amazing result:

[snip]
Quote:
Samadhi Lamp and Tratakam

Basically this lamp is a blue light bulb behind a 12” disc with a 1.5” clear frosted filtered hole cut in the middle with a .5” black dot in the middle of the frosted portion. This whole thing is suspended from the ceiling.

This device is used in developing the magicians tratakam ability. Tratakam is a raja yoga technique of fixed gaze. It is a self induced hypnotic trance that allows the magician to stare at a fixed point for several minutes without blinking. Now at first I thought, hell that’s easy I don’t need a bunch of books and lights and crap to stare at something. Poke offers a simple test in his book…simply try to stare at your wrist watch for 3 full minutes without blinking. If you are like me you will find that its damn near impossible to stare unblinking for longer than 1 minute. My eyes welled up, my eyes twitched, my face tingled…it was a true learning experience.

The purpose of learning tratakam is for later when we are working with the black mirrors with doing our evocations. Tratakam is the fundamental method that Poke suggests one uses when working with your black mirror. I figured, after my failed watch experiment that there was something to learn here…so I built my first Samadhi Lamp.

The first lamp I built was done very cheaply. I used a clip on light for the actual lamp piece ($5 at Lowes) and of course the blue light build ($3 – they are proud of blue light bulbs). For the disk I just used cardboard and for the filtered center I used the top of a clear coat spray paint can. The thing looked horrible but the effects were pretty incredible.

I am at a totally loss as to what the blue lights and dots and such actually do…but let me tell you if you use this thing as Poke suggests…WOW. I did the exercise by the book…starting with Pranayama breathing techniques for a few minutes I would then lie on my back and stare at the black dot of the lamp. You have not probe the lamp, if that makes sense…just look at the dot…fix your eyes on the dot. And try to not think…quiet your mind and relax your body. I almost immediately had some really wild visual effects going on – reminded me of my early 20’s and the time my room mate convinced me 3 hits of acid and a drive to Joshua Tree State park in the desert would be a cool way to spend a Saturday. Once you have experienced the visual effects but can still maintain contact with the dot I begin feeling intense relaxation…almost as if I couldn’t move if I wanted to. I have experienced other sensations as well…most often it feels as if I am sinking and even sometimes like the bed is spinning but still I can maintain contact with the light.

After about my 10th use of the lamp I decided that it was going to be a permanent piece in the bedroom…and I knew that the wife was not going to tolerate a bunch of cardboard and junk hanging over the bed...so I built a right purdy one. I got everything at the local Lowe’s – stool seat ($6) – 10’ of decorative chain ($4) – upright desk lamp ($6) – florescent filter replacement ($7 – enough to make about 20 of these things) – hardware to hang the lamp ($3). I cut a 1.5” hole in the middle of the stool seat and using my router I recessed a lip to place the filter on that I cut using tin snips and glued in place. On the back side of the seat I routed a hole that was 3/8” deep that was exactly the diameter of the lamp I bought - about 3”. I also drilled the lamp (it’s basically a cylinder with little feet on the bottom…the bulb goes in the middle and normally it would direct the light straight up – for this purpose I just turned it upside down) to allow light to seep out around the outside edge of the disk. I attached the light with a couple small ‘L’ brackets and screws. For the middle dot I used my trusty black Sharpie. In finished it off with a nice coat of stain and poly clear coat. It actually looks like some sort of art deco lamp. (I will provide pictures when the wife gets back from England – she took the digital camera).
Image:
Quote:

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

--C.G. JUNG

Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
nytek

Default Samadhi Lamp and Tratakam (more)

This is excerpted from The Book of Solomon's Magick by Poke Runyon:

Quote:
Practical Exercises:
There are a number of ways to practice tratakam. Dr. Mishra lists nasal and frontal gaze exercises which are uncomfortable and alien to Western practitioners. We recommend an easily constructed variation of one of his techniques involving a blue light bulb behind a 12" dia. round cardboard shield with an 1"-2" dia. filtered hole cut in the center. In the center of the frosted filter, place a .25-.5" dia. black dot. This device is then suspended from the ceiling.

We call it a "Samadhi Lamp."
To use the samadhi lamp, do your stretching exercises, take your asana, do a few minutes pranayama and then lie flat on your back and fix your gaze on the illuminated hole, with its central black dot, for ten to fifteen minutes. Do not explore the lamp with your eyes, just look at its glowing center. Try not to think about the optical phenomenon as they occur. Try not to think about the relaxation and numbness coming over you or the hypnotic state you are drifting into... Try not to think at all ...

--C.G. JUNG

Last edited by nytek; 03-21-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
Philoop

Ceewayne - I have a hard time making meditation meaningful. I meditate on various concepts, feeling, or memories and I can only get so down in it. I also will try this meditation. I lay own, start the four fold breath, and I start becomming aware of my body. The result is extremely relaxing. That is great and all but relaxing is not what im shooting for. I am looking for new ideas/realizations and trying to do something profound like in my head
Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 AM   #8
nytek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoop View Post
Ceewayne - I have a hard time making meditation meaningful. I meditate on various concepts, feeling, or memories and I can only get so down in it.
How long have you been practicing?

Quote:
I also will try this meditation.
I have two main meditations that I do--one of each with passive and active modes. You might want to give the yoga breath of fire a shot with that being said. It's likely the entire opposite direction you've been traveling in up until now. Don't do it for too long at first though, just like with full lotus pose, or you'll strain something.

Quote:
I lay own, start the four fold breath, and I start becomming aware of my body. The result is extremely relaxing. That is great and all but relaxing is not what im shooting for.
...But it's not quite anything more than a means to reach the end. What you're perhaps overlooking as trivial has changed my entire life without effort or intent in due time. Through relaxation a deepened awareness of your subtle subjective self is obtained and in the end that perspective peers far beyond the shortsightedness of a person's beginning.

Beyond that I've given you and everyone else a bunch of tools to make meditation more productive at best and more interesting at the very least. You can take years to get to where you need mere months with binaural tones and/or biofeedback technologies.

What I've suggested is like the difference between riding a horse and buggy cross country and taking a Concorde supersonic passenger jet instead. I guess there's nothing really wrong with taking your time and doing things the old fashioned way though if you find yourself drawn to horses and to carriages. You know what I mean?

Anyhow at the very least, I really recommend you begin to consider to download and listen to Shinzen Young's crystal clear discussions on the topic if you're feeling even somewhat serious about improving your results as you read this. If you find then that you still have questions you cannot answer yourself of course you could always ask. Now ... it's not quite instant gratification but it's better than that because it's lasting gratification. You see?

Quote:
I am looking for new ideas/realizations
You mean like meditating on a symbol and letting a running stream of thoughts enter your mind without passing through your usual conscious censor...?

Quote:
and trying to do something profound like in my head
Profundity through meditation is the result of obtaining a higher kind of awareness and thus greater insight into life which comes through the development of greater concentration -- be that concentration yielded from aware relaxation or stimulation as it may.

Don't overlook that real relaxation is something you must work at and is not something you do in front of the TV at all. It must always be deepened and lengthened. Can you imagine existing in a permanent state of samadhi? Can you begin to imagine how that would effortlessly change and effect every facet of your life? That's what I'm talking about, and people have certainly attained such a thing including Crowley if we take his or any of the rest of their truths for what they could be.

Meditation then is the purification of consciousness by the fires of awareness and the development of equanimity. Unless you meant doing something profound in your head as in imagining all the working parts of an engine in motion at once ... there's no real secret to unlocking something like that except persistence.

I wish you success in whichever path you may choose.
Nytek

--C.G. JUNG

Last edited by nytek; 03-22-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Philoop

Nytek- I at first dismissed your links. BUt upon reading your posts You have convinced me to get them this evening.

I have practiced occultism with varying intensity on and off for the last 4 to 6 years

I like to mediate on energy, becomming mindful, and the tao
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Izabael DaJinn

Philoop....I meditate and I sometimes feel as you do, so I think that's a normal feeling to have.

I''m loving all the different types of meditations listed in this thread, and I do agree that perhaps its your style of meditation that isn't doing it for you. Then again meditation maybe always feels a little like a chore....like going to the gym or brushing one's teeth...but like most chores it's worth it so we continue the practice.

Some meditations are little more than relaxation, other types are hardcore. I feel that even one-pointed meditations performed regularly keep me more calm and centered during the week even if they don't lead to far out trance states. As far as more "blind blowing" experiences, I tend to get those more in longer, more elaborate rituals...however the practice of simple meditations helps my concentration immensely on longer rituals.

You can also add small (that's all you really need) amounts of some sort Entheogen to traditional meditations that you are already used to....this can be incredibly potent and give some of those crazy Samadhi type trances...without years and years of pranayama (for example).

xoxo
Iza

B
ABA
ZABAE
IZABAEL
ZABAE
ABA
B
Izabael DaJinn is offline   Reply With Quote