Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Aleister Crowley, Thelema, Crowleyanity, Abrahadabra Discuss anything about the single greatest force in promulgating magick of all time, The Great Beast (Master Therion), a.k.a. V.V.V.V.V (Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici -- "While still living, I have conquered the universe by dint of truth.") and Perdurabo ("I Will endure unto the end.")

Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
ceewayne

Default New version of Thelema 101

Hello

I revised my document that I am calling Thelema 101. Please eyeball this document and tell me what I can do to make it better. What should I add, what should I expand, what should I take out etc etc. Does anyone have suggestions what the next steps should be for a budding Thelemite.

Thelema 101
Author’s Note - Please remember that Thelema expresses the individual Will and the uniqueness of every person. So blanket statements really don’t apply. In this document I tried to focus on what I would think would be the most commonly held beliefs, but everyone’s Will is different. Just because someone does not follow everything that is in this document, that does not mean they are not a Thelemite and/or a Sincere Seeker of Spiritual Truth. This is an explanation, not a creed and I am not the Master Therion. I also would like to thank Izabael DaJinn and Thorhammer for their valued input. All mistakes are my own. – CWT
Through the ages, men and women have tried to determine their relationship with the Divine, the Creator of all Realties. The attempts throughout history can be divided into three periods or Aeons, each with its own formula or explanation of your relationship with the Divine.

The Aeon of Isis

The Maternal idea of Divinity, the Mother Goddesses. Its formula was that you worshipped Mother Earth and in return you received what you needed to survive. The material ignored the spiritual. Everything was a mystery, including death and not much was investigated. Modern day Wicca is an attempt to recreate this.

The Aeon of Osiris

The Paternal idea of Divinity, the Father Gods. Its formula was the Dying God, the God that would die for his worshippers and then be resurrected. You would worship that God in hope that you would be resurrected too. It was characterized by self-sacrifice, submission to the Father God and rise of Priesthoods that would tell people what it all means and what they should believe in. The spiritual ignored the material. These religions are known to worship death and glorify suffering.

The Aeon of Horus

The Principal of the Child. Everyone is an individual with their own responsibility for their Spiritual Growth. No longer is death feared. No longer is submission necessary. Its formula is continual growth to self realization. A keen interest in all things spiritual is a hallmark of this Aeon. It is best shown through the Philosophy and Religion of Thelema.

Liber AL vel Legis is a three chapter book that was received by Aleister Crowley in 1904. It is a Guide for Spiritual Development for the Aeon of Horus. It is a somewhat cryptic book. One hallmark of it is that each individual must find their own meaning in it. No one is to interpret it for another person.

The term Thelema comes from the Greek noun θέλημα, which means "will." A Thelemite is a person who sees the Book of the Law as their doctrine. A Thelemite is a person who governs themselves. Thelema teaches the individual is paramount unit of society. These ideas are not new, they have been expressed through the ages. Thelema though teaches you that you are not wrong in espousing them.

Unlike other religions, no one will give you all the answers. You have to work. You have to figure things out for yourself. You don’t have someone telling you what to do or what to think. At the same time, it is the only work worth doing, to take responsibility for your own spiritual development.

He was the Prophet of the Book of the Law but it can be said he was not the ideal Thelemite. His ideal was to light the fire of human coconscious but sometimes at the expense of the ones he loved and was loved by.

In popular culture he is made out to be a Satanist, a Black Magician and a German Spy. He was none of those things. He rallied against the hypocrisy of the time he lived in.

One of Crowley’s greatest gifts was his system of Magick. (He spelled it with a K to differentiate it form what came before.) He undertook to make the Western Mystery Tradition understandable for all. Crowley’s body of work still influences such things as Wicca and the modern New Age tradition today.

And he ranked number 73 in the BBC Poll of the 100 Greatest Britons of All Time.
3. The Theology of Thelema shows the interplay of two cosmic principles giving rise to a third. The interplay between the two cosmic principles is love. And there is a fourth.
a. The first is everything in existence. The sum total of all creation. This is expressed by Nuit, the Goddess of Infinite Space.
b. The second is the Point of Consciousness of the individual. The Spark of the Divine that is in the heart of all. That is Hadit, the God of the Sun.
c. The interplay of the sum total of creation and the Point of Consciousness creates Ra-Hoor-Khuit, the Crowned and Conquering Child. He is more than the joining of his mother and father. He is the individual united with all. He is the steady growth of the spiritual nature.
d. The fourth is Babalon, The Scarlet Woman, The Great Mother, The Mother of Abominations. She calls us to experience all in Her name. She manifests the Mystical Ideal of becoming One with All by losing your Ego.
4. Other Gods from different cultures are also studied and might be worshipped and/or acknowledged as personifications of specific forces.
5. Everyone has a True Will. That is your truest nature united with the Divine Will.
6. Thelemites have a Divine Law in the statement, Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will. This is a call to find one’s True Will. True Will is both one’s true purpose in life and the decisions you make moment to moment to express your Will. Finding and expressing one’s True Will is a great and important task for a Thelemite.
7. The various practices that Thelemites might use to find and accomplish their True Will are many and varied. Some are common to all religions like prayer, mediation, study of holy books and other texts and self discipline. Some are classified as occult techniques like divination, yoga, ritual and interaction with angels and spirits.
8. In Thelema the term “Black Magick” applies to any action that is not directed to finding and accomplishing your True Will. It also applies to interfering with someone else’s attempt to find and live their True Will. The effects of such an action tend to rebound back on the doer, like the notion of karma. It is best to respect everyone else’s True Will and their efforts to find it. Help can be given, if help is requested. Otherwise a policy of non interference is strongly empathized.
9. Thelemites are encouraged to keep a record of their work, a Magickal Diary.
If you are interested in Thelema, your first step is to read the Book of the Law, Liber AL vel Legis. You can find it on the internet or you can order it online. Your second step is to start looking at your life to help find your True Will.

A quote from Crowley that is a call to action

I admit that my visions can never mean to other men as much as they do to me. I do not regret this. All I ask is that my results should convince seekers after truth that there is beyond doubt something worth while seeking, attainable by methods more or less like mine. I do not want to father a flock, to be the fetish of fools and fanatics, or the founder of a faith whose followers are content to echo my opinions. I want each man to cut his own way through the jungle. - The Confessions of Aleister Crowley (1929)

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
ceewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Nion

Send a message via ICQ to Nion

Exclamation

I know for sure, that I often wish I had a video camera with me when stuff starts getting a little hard to believe. At the very least, I could then rewatch the video and perhaps tell if I really was hallucinating or not. Finding documentation however, should be my job. I know that when I can find the space and time, finances permiting I'm going to make my temple setting a bit more lab like. I suppose then, people will accuse me of being a special effects artist, should anything actually show up on camera. But I'm positive, from my own perspective anyway, that a few of my little episodes have had witnesses as well as other Magick-people finding some form of confirmation. Ultimately, this would be a good tool to help people get past some of their disbelief. There's simply far too many people who think someone has to be 'special' where Magick is concerned. It doesn't require that everyone be Jesus to work a miracle, let alone alter reality 'in conformity with their Will'. The path to perfection, in Thelema, may seem a long one - but I think it involves as much self-trust as any martial art for example. Perhaps, like Nytek, and obviously yourself, I would like to find some sort of way to inspire everyone to go forth and realize their potential. I know it sounds difficult to imagine, but to me, Thelema has something to do with everything and has limitless applications. I feel that there is no religion that fails to contain similar traits to that of Thelema, be it a Gnostic variety or not. And for myself, Thelema is not so much a single path, but the very means for me to walk it ( or um, them all .

It's awesome that you've done this and that you continue to make improvements!! Arete!

Oh, btw, I seriously would include the A:.A:. 's thing about 'Method of Science, Aim of Religion' . You have in a sense, with the mentioning of the magickal diary. But like I'm outlining above, if I'd had a video camera there when I did my thing, years ago, we'd not only have something more fun to watch than 'ghost whisperer' but a great ritual model for producing the same results. Stuff like that, taking yourself seriously in a scientific way, will actually help you a great deal.

I know - it sounds weird, me being the one to mention this with my 1001 unbelievable stories that force everyone to conclude that i'm nuts. But, that's kind of the point.

93!

"I came, I saw - that kicked ass."
Nion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
ceewayne

Quote:
There's simply far too many people who think someone has to be 'special' where Magick is concerned. It doesn't require that everyone be Jesus to work a miracle, let alone alter reality 'in conformity with their Will'. The path to perfection, in Thelema, may seem a long one - but I think it involves as much self-trust as any martial art for example.
One thing that Martial Arts and Magick have in common. Almost anyone can start studying it and get some near immediate confirmation that something is working.

One of my coworkers like hearing stories of some of my experiences and at the same it he is very scared to hear about them. I point out to him and others that they can sense things that I can. If they are willing to put into the time. I point out that after a few months of doing a ten minute ritual a day things will change.

Quote:
It's awesome that you've done this and that you continue to make improvements!! Arete!
Like I said, this is for my mother. When I started studying the Occult, she was very critical and hateful.

But I ignored her.

Funny thing about being Sicilian. You get married, you get to be an adult, in your mother's eyes. Well either married, become a doctor or a priest.

Anyroad, she asked me with respect a few weeks ago and I realized I need to put my thoughts in order. Whenever I am faced with information, I either put it in a database or an outline. Hence this.

Quote:
seriously would include the A:.A:. 's thing about 'Method of Science, Aim of Religion' . You have in a sense, with the mentioning of the magickal diary.
Now that is a good idea. I figure I will wait for a few more days for more ideas and then do the next version.

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
thorhammer

I like your changes and you didn't have to mention me, but thanks. Nion's suggestion of the magickal diary as being part of the scientific method is good too. Personally it doesn't appeal to me, but I do see that it's a way of lending some "validity through solidity" to the whole shebang.
thorhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Charlottuh

Send a message via AIM to Charlottuh Send a message via MSN to Charlottuh

Very interesting
Maybe you should mention something about the "Black Brothers" ,but otherwise it does help me figure out more about Thelema.
Charlottuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
ceewayne

I have done a few more changes. I will have to post the new one tonight.

Chris

Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
nytek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhammer View Post
Nion's suggestion of the magickal diary as being part of the scientific method is good too.
No, it's more than a good idea. Experience shows this. Have you never kept a dream journal or done a 30 day period of LBRP you've recorded? Journaling after the fact forces you to introspectively analyze and then ground your experience on paper. Not only do you remember things you'd long forget, AND save a memento for when your faith begins to wane and you need a peer into your book of results, BUT a person gains a deeper insight and introspection into those same results just like when we learn to pause and feel after each step in the ritual as we take our time and shift the proverbial gears of consciousness.

Quote:
Personally it doesn't appeal to me, but I do see that it's a way of lending some "validity through solidity" to the whole shebang.
This line hurts me so. Give it a full-on dedicated chance. For perspective you can always try reading, "Aleister Crowley and the Practice of the Magical Diary". It's a great book. It's available online, and I can point you in the right direction if you're not google boolean query savvy. PM me.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

--C.G. JUNG

nytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
nytek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottuh View Post
Very interesting
Maybe you should mention something about the "Black Brothers" ,but otherwise it does help me figure out more about Thelema.
I've come to make Black Brother synonymous with one who places stock in the LHP, and if that's the case then a good deal of Crowley's writing was dramatized about how evil and perverse LHP is. It's funny to me to witness so many misunderstand what it means to deify the ego in my opinion, and without investigating, they seem to look at the LHP as if it was some bastardized form of ego gratification they are obviously above, as nobody likes to view themselves as narcissistic. It's much much more than "worship of the self", if you can even call it that. It's the deprogramming of the self, and the stripping back of the ego to reveal the immortal black flame.

Such a fear of narcissism at heart is perhaps what keeps people away from sitting by themselves and taking the time to meditate -- as such a thing is a selfish act in itself. Such autistic (or "anti-social") modes of practice are hardly the narcissism you or another might think of.

Still according to those like Samael Aun Weor, I think I can remember it being said, a Black Brother loses his soul upon crossing the abyss rather than uniting with the universe, in a rather small and confining nutshell. That said, Old Crow also said that he thinks people of my sun sign are basically all serial killers more or less. Really, nobody said Crowley is beyond bias despite having a good healthy connection to his genius. Then again, there are many definitions I've heard over the years for the phrase.

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

--C.G. JUNG

Last edited by nytek; 05-19-2010 at 08:35 PM.
nytek is offline   Reply With Quote