Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Beginner's Magick Forum This is a safe haven for magick and occult newbies. The rest of the forums may bite, but here Izabael will assist with beginner's questions on magick and demonology (daemonology).

Old 11-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Izabael DaJinn

Thumbs up Get started now on magick!

If you are a complete n00b to magick, now is the time to get started. I will be slowly posting the essential rituals necessary to do ANY type of magick.

The first ritual to practice is the "Receptive as a Cup" ritual. This is basically just a 5 minute relaxation ritual.

The second ritual to practice is the Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram (a version of the LBRP) which you can find in detail here. See the post here.

If you have any questions on these rituals feel to post them here. These two rituals will form the foundation of all sorts of powerful magick work on down the line, such as making talismans, invoking Gods, and summoning daemons.

xoxoxo
Izabael

Last edited by Izabael DaJinn; 11-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Izabael DaJinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #2
Tolstoy_was_wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izabael_DaJinn View Post
If you are a complete n00b to magick, now is the time to get started. I will be slowly posting the essential rituals necessary to do ANY type of magick.

The first ritual to practice is the "Receptive as a Cup" ritual. This is basically just a 5 minute relaxation ritual.

The second ritual to practice is the Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram (a version of the LBRP) which you can find in detail here. See the post here.

If you have any questions on these rituals feel to post them here. These two rituals will form the foundation of all sorts of powerful magick work on down the line, such as making talismans, invoking Gods, and summoning daemons.

xoxoxo
Izabael

1. What magickal system is best for a solo practitioner?

2. It seems that magick is a long term investment of time and energy. Is there a quicker way to get results?

3. How do I figure out which books are legitimate and which are garbage?

4. How can you do magick with a busy schedule?

5. How do I conjure to physical manifestation?

6. How do I have an OBE or do I even ever need to?

7. Do I really need to contact my HGA to be an effective magician?
Tolstoy_was_wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
ceewayne

Hello

Quote:
1. What magickal system is best for a solo practitioner?
The one that you will stick with. You have to find a system that is challenging, enjoyable and will meet your needs and objectives. What are your objectives?

Quote:
2. It seems that magick is a long term investment of time and energy. Is there a quicker way to get results?
What do you mean by getting results? You start embarking on a series of Magickial practices, you will start getting some benefits right away.

Quote:
3. How do I figure out which books are legitimate and which are garbage?
That is a tough one. You can read reviews, you can talk to other people and us on the board here, but ultimately you will have decide yourself what is good and what gets sent to a used book store.

Quote:
4. How can you do magick with a busy schedule?
Schedule it. I put aside at least one hour every night for ritual and research. You don't need much time to start, but you need a regular practice.

What is stopping you?

Do you live in a place with other people? Myself, I wait for my lovely and supportive wife to go to bed. She ignores any Hebrew, Japanese or Persian from the living room.

Is it when you get home from work, you have responsibilities to meet? Get up a half hour earlier, and do you ritual then.

Quote:
5. How do I conjure to physical manifestation?
Depends on what system you use. Most of them require some medium for the Spirit to work with.

Quote:
6. How do I have an OBE or do I even ever need to?
Depends on what system you use, they have ways of doing it. As for if you needing it. I would say down the road, yes. If not for the fact, it is pretty cool to do.

Quote:
7. Do I really need to contact my HGA to be an effective magician?
Depends on what system you use, down the road I think you will but that is steps down the road.

I am sorry that I could not give you too many clear cut answers. May I ask what your objectives are? What do you want to do with Magick and we can have more idea of what to suggest to you.

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
ceewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Marcio_Polo

Does everyone here have out of body experiences? I've never had one like you see in books or movies. I'm always still aware of my regular body completely. I can get into deep visualizations, but never to the point of "OBE."

As far as a Holy Guardian Angel, I think everyone should learn to find a "Center" of some sort BUT different belief systems approach that in different ways. Seems to me one would be unhappy without some sort of internal connection not neccesarily to the MOST HIGH DIVINITY or something but a simple connection to the moment, or nature, or just feeling balanced and centered no matter what life is tossing at us

marcio
Marcio_Polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
thorhammer

Hi, everyone. I am new here, but not to forums - I'm a member of a really great one (not magick-based) and hope that this is just as nice, friendly and supportive.

Is this thread totally dead? I started practising magick about two weeks ago after a year or so of reading; I am finding many problems, mostly due to the fact that I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and a few comments by DuQuette and Crowley make it seem that the LBRP at least is based on geographical features. If that's the case, then most of the rest is up for debate as well; deosil, here, is anti-clockwise because of the direction of the (apparent) movement of the sun around the earth. That puts a question mark, for me, over the placement of the archangels/Gods within the LBRP ritual or Rodney Orpheus' Nu-Sphere derivation thereof.

I'm sure I'll come up with more; right now I'm at work and not in the right headspace. But for now I'll be happy with just a response in such an old thread
thorhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
Izabael DaJinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhammer View Post

Hi, everyone. I am new here, but not to forums - I'm a member of a really great one (not magick-based) and hope that this is just as nice, friendly and supportive.

Is this thread totally dead? I started practising magick about two weeks ago after a year or so of reading; I am finding many problems, mostly due to the fact that I'm in the Southern Hemisphere and a few comments by DuQuette and Crowley make it seem that the LBRP at least is based on geographical features. If that's the case, then most of the rest is up for debate as well; deosil, here, is anti-clockwise because of the direction of the (apparent) movement of the sun around the earth. That puts a question mark, for me, over the placement of the archangels/Gods within the LBRP ritual or Rodney Orpheus' Nu-Sphere derivation thereof.

I'm sure I'll come up with more; right now I'm at work and not in the right headspace. But for now I'll be happy with just a response in such an old thread
There's no time limit on these posts. We are discussing ancient wisdom so there is no expiration on relevant quesitons.

I can see reversing the LBRP for the southern hemisphere, but many of the things that seem written in stone can be changed regardless. The key points of the LBRP are acknowledging the four quadrants and centering ourselves in the middle. For example, I now perform my rituals counter-clockwise going against years and years of clockwise.....simply because I wanted to change up my polarity (along with other changes to my rituals.)

Traditional Golden Dawn/Thelema is a nice starting point, but it is by no means an end....rather a jumping off point for our personalization. This includes archangel placement. OR indeed if you want archangels at all and not other gods/goddesses or simply the four elements as energies instead of archangels. All these are subtle differences that can be experimented with.

And you are welcome here very much, thorhammer.

xoxoxo
Izabael

B
ABA
ZABAE
IZABAEL
ZABAE
ABA
B
Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
thorhammer

Cheers for that, Izabael. At the moment, I'm trying not to experiment too much until I get a feel for how it's supposed to flow. The Nu-Sphere variation is quite good and raises less of my persecuted-by-Christians ire, but I do want to practice with the LBRP proper as well.

I have read about "Thelemic Kiblah" and in two different places it intimated two different approaches in terms of the LBRP. One source seemed to suggest turning the entire ritual around to use Boleskin as East, and still have North to the left and so on (which is odd for me as Boleskin is North-West of me!). The other source seems to say that you perform the QC facing towards Boleskin, but cast your pentagrams according to the compass. I like this approach better, I must say.

To annoy further , in Liber V vel Reguli, the Second Gesture:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber V vel Reguli
2. Let him turn himself towards the left, and pace with the stealth and swiftness of a tiger the precincts of his circle, until he complete one revoution thereof.
3. Let him give the sign of Horus (or the Enterer) as he passeth, so to project the Force that radiateth from Boleskine before him.
. . .
8. Let him turn again to the left, and pursue his Path as before, projecting the force from Boleskine as he passeth . . .
This seems odd. To pace like a tiger would be graceful and dignified, but to take steps in the Sign of the Enterer would be lurching madly about the circle like a zombie, methinks. Or is the force to be projected without the aid of the Sign, merely with the wand and visualisation and Will?

And I haven't even started asking about vibrating the names and words of power

A thousand questions. I hope that others may learn from my present confusion.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
ceewayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorhammer View Post
To annoy further , in Liber V vel Reguli, the Second Gesture: This seems odd. To pace like a tiger would be graceful and dignified, but to take steps in the Sign of the Enterer would be lurching madly about the circle like a zombie, methinks. Or is the force to be projected without the aid of the Sign, merely with the wand and visualisation and Will?

And I haven't even started asking about vibrating the names and words of power

A thousand questions. I hope that others may learn from my present confusion.
I think you pause and make the Sign of the Enterer as you pass the Direction. I found Pacing like a Tiger to be slightly lowering your center of gravity so it would be not a great step to throw you hands and left foot out. Keep yourself centered.

You know, you brought up at least three different possiblities, which one works best for you? Like Ms. I says, all this are starting points. You have to come up with what are the best symbols for you.

And Izabael, may I say that is the best summation of the LBRP that I have had the pleasure to read. Thank you.

Good questions. We like questions.

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
ceewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Izabael DaJinn

Quote:
Cheers for that, Izabael. At the moment, I'm trying not to experiment too much until I get a feel for how it's supposed to flow.
That's the right attitude actually. Much of the power of the LBRP is getting into a groove with it and constantly tweaking will ruin that.

I also understand your frustration at the all the variants around.

The best bet I think is to take a step back. You are now throwing in Thelemic variants which is futher confusing this whole issue of quadrants and clockwise/counter clockwise.

My simplest suggsetion is just go with the version given here:

The Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram - The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums

The whole reason I give this method is to unify everything necessary into one ritual. There is not even a need to change the clockwise direction because you are in the Southern Hemisphere. Clockwise is still clockwise, i.e. the way your clocks move, isn't it? That is the defacto standard. Go with that until perhaps later in your magick you ahve a reason to change it.

Once you decide on a basic format and are going to stick with it (for several months at least), we can get to any questions you have about vibrating/chanting. And you can't have too many quesitons. That's the whole reason I started these forums was to help people, especially beginners.

B
ABA
ZABAE
IZABAEL
ZABAE
ABA
B
Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
thorhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceewayne View Post
I think you pause and make the Sign of the Enterer as you pass the Direction. I found Pacing like a Tiger to be slightly lowering your center of gravity so it would be not a great step to throw you hands and left foot out. Keep yourself centered.
Yep, that sounds a great deal less undignified! I can see it in my head as prowling, then swinging outwards at each Direction to make the Sign. Thanks for helping me clarify that!
Quote:
You know, you brought up at least three different possiblities, which one works best for you? Like Ms. I says, all this are starting points. You have to come up with what are the best symbols for you.
*sigh* See, at this stage in what might be termed my magickal career, it's not overly helpful to know that whatever feels right to me is the go. I guess in a way, I gravitated to this kind of magick via solitary Witchcraft because that was so new-agey, feel-good, no discipline (and being a broken-down karate-ka, discipline is very important to me), go-with-the-flo sort of stuff. I wanted something more stringent. Now I just can't find the forest for all the damn trees in the road