Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Aleister Crowley, Thelema, Crowleyanity, Abrahadabra Discuss anything about the single greatest force in promulgating magick of all time, The Great Beast (Master Therion), a.k.a. V.V.V.V.V (Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici -- "While still living, I have conquered the universe by dint of truth.") and Perdurabo ("I Will endure unto the end.")

Old 12-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
KentishWoodman

Default New to this! Guidance please.

So, I recentlly stumbled upon the book of the law, and now feel drawn to Thelema. Where do I go from here. Up until recently I was very sceptical and thought this was all fiction, I guess thats whats drummed into us. But I feel I have come of age, and am in sync with something, I had a recent experience from above which left me overwhelmed with pure joy, it was such a raw emotion, the only thing I can liken it to is when hearing your child take its first breaths. I am now much more open and feel as if I am being guided- be it from my own subconcience or an external force, or could it be the entity that filled me with joy? So the lowdown, where to go from now?

Many thanks in advance.
KentishWoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
ceewayne

Hello

The Book of the Law is a very good start, end and core of all this. Now I would suggest daily ritual practices. How familiar are you with Pentagram rituals?

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
ceewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
KentishWoodman

Honestly, not familiar at all. An absolute begginer- but have been reading up on the receptive as a cup ritual and the ERP, so I guess I am starting in the right place. Would you suggest any of Crowley's writings to me as a begginer?
Thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
ceewayne

I would recommend Lon Milo DuQuette. His The Magick of Aleister Crowley is wonderful.

The ERP of the Pentagram would be a very good start. Don't just read it, start doing it.

May I suggest the following three things
  • Do a ritual once a day. The ERP/Pentagram would be a good start.
  • Learn to use a divination system. Me I like Tarot but what ever you like.
  • With all this, start keeping your Magickal record. Does not have to be fancy, a spiral bound notebook is how I started.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
KentishWoodman

Okay, thanks, Ive got a journal ready for when I start practicing, though Im a little wary of starting right now as would like to read up on things beforehand. Am I wrong in thinking that without careful preparation this can all be quite dangerous- or not at all. Also I read that any clothing worn whilst practicing must never again be used for any other purpose- is this correct? Once again, thank you very much.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
ceewayne

Ok, just reading up does not really do anything for you.

Is there danger, to some degree yes. But careful preperation? That is the voice of not doing anything, that is the voice of being a slave.

Lemme tell you something. First time I involved Spirits, I wrote my ritual, looked at it, said the hell with it, raised power with heavy metal music and did it. And it worked better than I ever dreamed.

Go do the ERP. Trust me, it is good for you.

As for the clothing, if you think that is the case, it is. Me, I don't hold with such thoughts. Most times I do ritual with the same clothes that I wear all day. It is when i take part in a ritual at my Temple, I dress up I ritual clothes.

Another thing, I am sitting in a hotel room, six hours from home. I have very few ritual tools, just a compass, hands and iPod. I am about to do ritual. Don't need anything else.

Get 'er done

Chris

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
KentishWoodman

Hi. Been doing rituals for just under a week now. Sleeping extremely deeply. feeling very tired after rituals. Do I need to be doing rituals inside a circle? also been doing a 'modified' version of lbrp/star ruby, when charging the pentagrams of what importance is the direction of rotation? LBRP is ESWN but star ruby is ENWS. And when do I need to do the Qabalistic cross? I have a feeling a may be doing it too many times. One more thing, when writing yod raish nun yod, what is this doing? had a 'break?' whilst doing this last night.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
ceewayne

Quote:
Been doing rituals for just under a week now

Very good! Are you documenting?

Quote:
Do I need to be doing rituals inside a circle?

Depends, the LBRP and Star Ruby does not need a circle.

Quote:
also been doing a 'modified' version of lbrp/star ruby

Did you try the original version? Did you combine the two?

Quote:
when charging the pentagrams of what importance is the direction of rotation?

Very important. The LBRP you invoke the Archangels to banish, hence clockwise. The Star Ruby is an exclusively a banishing ritual, hence counterclockwise.

Quote:
yod raish nun yod

What part of the ritual are you doing that in?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
adar yawshab

I'd strongly recommend yoga if you don't already do it. Raja and hatha yoga are good to start with.

also the qabalistic cross of light, in my opinion, can be done as many times as is felt necessary. I would also recommend the middle pillar excercise which can even be combined with pranayama to help induce a trance for easier visualization. Just try not to completely abandon yourself. Do your best to maintain focus.
adar yawshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Barrackubus

One of the key elements of the path of Thelema, and a priority of their doctrinal teachings and perceptions is for the student to seek the knowledge and conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. Even as a Thelemite myself, i have yet to repeat or copy any other rituals other than the ones designed by myself. However in being a Thelemite the essential works of the HGA are paramount in my practice. For more information see www.thelemapedia.com.

It should never be forgotten for a single moment that the central and essential work of the Magician is the attainment of the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel. Once he has achieved this he must of course be left entirely in the hands of that Angel, who can be invariably and inevitably relied upon to lead him to the further great step—crossing of the Abyss and the attainment of the grade of Master of the Temple.

Do what thou wilt, shall be the whole law..
Barrackubus is offline   Reply With Quote