Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Aleister Crowley, Thelema, Crowleyanity, Abrahadabra Discuss anything about the single greatest force in promulgating magick of all time, The Great Beast (Master Therion), a.k.a. V.V.V.V.V (Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici -- "While still living, I have conquered the universe by dint of truth.") and Perdurabo ("I Will endure unto the end.")

Old 07-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
punkdonkey

Default Just started to practice Thelema, advice needed

Hi Everyone,

this is my first time in the forums and I would like to say what a brilliant site and hello to everyone.
I have recently begun to actually practise the rituals of Thelema rather that just read about them.
I would like anyones advice about this as you can imagine I am a bit confused lol
What rituals would you recommend I begin with, obviously i thought the star ruby and the star sapphire. After this what ones should I move on to.
How often should you do the star ruby and the star saphire, is it everday or is it like a banishing before other rituals.
I have seen different versions of these rituals with slight differences, is it possible to personalise them in some way to make them mor powerful.
I hope you can help

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
punkdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
ceewayne

Welcome Punkdonkey!

Is this your first foray into ritual magick? If so I would recommend the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It is not at 'Thelemic Ritual' per se, but it is very good. We have a very good writeup of it here.

The Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram - The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums

Now personally, I find both the LBRP and the Star Ruby to work good together. I do the LBRP to banish and the Star Ruby to create a Thelemic Atmosphere.

As for when to do it, I would recommend the LBRP followed by the Star Ruby once a day at least, with any other rituals of invocation afterwards.

Once you start doing the rituals, then you can personalize them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdonkey View Post
Hi Everyone,

this is my first time in the forums and I would like to say what a brilliant site and hello to everyone.
I have recently begun to actually practise the rituals of Thelema rather that just read about them.
I would like anyones advice about this as you can imagine I am a bit confused lol
What rituals would you recommend I begin with, obviously i thought the star ruby and the star sapphire. After this what ones should I move on to.
How often should you do the star ruby and the star saphire, is it everday or is it like a banishing before other rituals.
I have seen different versions of these rituals with slight differences, is it possible to personalise them in some way to make them mor powerful.
I hope you can help

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
ceewayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
punkdonkey

Default Thank you

Hi Ceewayne

thank you for replying that is really helpful and what I thought. Although I have read about magick for many years yes this is my first time practising it.
I have a couple of other questions
In the Star Sapphire it says make the holy hexagram what is that I have looked at book four and find it really confusing lol
What specific ritual would you recommend after the star ruby and star sapphire and the LBRP.
There are so many of them and they looked complicated but very intriguing.
I do not know what it is about Thelema that draws me to it. It just feels right.
It is when I am reading The Book Of The Law i can feel the power in it.
If you know what I mean.
So maybe Thelema is a path of intuition and is one that we all follow in our own way. Am i right in this?
So there is no set way to do this and you can perform any ritual if it is your will to do so.
Am i on the right lines?
One final question are people developing new Thelemic rituals or are they only the ones already written down?
I hope I haven't asked too many questions lol

Do What Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole Of The Law
Old 07-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
ceewayne

My reply is going to be all over the place

Quote:
It is when I am reading The Book Of The Law i can feel the power in it.
If you know what I mean.
I know exactly what you mean. Once time I was at an event and one of the organizers memorized BOTL and recited it outloud, that was powerful. Another time I was attending a Gnostic Mass on April 9th and we passed around a copy and all took turns reading the Second Chapter outloud.

Quote:
So maybe Thelema is a path of intuition and is one that we all follow in our own way. Am i right in this?
Yes. My Thelema will be different than yours. There will be some general things that we can agree on, but everyone is different.

Quote:
So there is no set way to do this and you can perform any ritual if it is your will to do so.
Am i on the right lines?
Pretty much. Rituals have to be both learned and integrated into your consciousness. Yes, you can do any ritual but rituals have a function. Look at the Star Ruby, it is both a banishing ritual and a way to invoke Thelemic Godforms as well. You have to know what a ritual does. Also some rituals, in my opinion makes sense after learning other ones. To me the Star Ruby made more sense after com pairing it to the LBRP. To me, I have to take a ritual apart to learn it.

Quote:
What specific ritual would you recommend after the star ruby and star sapphire and the LBRP.
What do you want to do? Do you want to Touch Deity? Do you want better study habits? Do you want to be more attractive to the object of your desire? Do you want to learn more about the Tarot

Quote:
One final question are people developing new Thelemic rituals or are they only the ones already written down?
People develop new rituals all the time. Take a look at this forum for example. People create rituals and post them here. Depends on what you want.

Quote:
I hope I haven't asked too many questions lol
No such thing

What do you want to do is my next question

Chris

I believe in one secret and ineffable LORD; and in one Star in the Company of Stars of whose fire we are created, and to which we shall return; and in one Father of Life, Mystery of Mystery, in His name CHAOS, the sole viceregent of the Sun upon the Earth; and in one Air the nourisher of all that breathes.

And I believe in one Earth, the Mother of us all, and in one Womb wherein all men are begotten, and wherein they shall rest, Mystery of Mystery, in Her name BABALON.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
punkdonkey

Default What I want to do

Thank you for the reply this is really helping me.
Ok what do i want to do. Well I have a problem with anxiety and I have obsessive compulsive disorder although it is mild. I also have a couple of phobias I want rid off so what rituals would I use for these

Blessings
Old 07-17-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
ceewayne

Banishing Rituals.

The Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram would be the best to start with. Try doing it at least once a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkdonkey View Post
Thank you for the reply this is really helping me.
Ok what do i want to do. Well I have a problem with anxiety and I have obsessive compulsive disorder although it is mild. I also have a couple of phobias I want rid off so what rituals would I use for these

Blessings

Chris

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
NeoNative

Exclamation

Focus on reading the core material and make a study of Liber Al vel Legis. Also find a copy of Rodney Orpheus' Abrahadabra.
If nothing else preform resh and the star ruby daily or as often as is possible.

LVX
NeoNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Adam Kadmon

I would disagree with Neo on one very important point.
"The study of this book [Liber Al] is forbidden...Those who discuss the contents of this book are to be shunned by all as centers of pestilence."
I say read it once then burn it. For that matter, so did Crowley

In any case I would agree with his recommendations of the Solar Adorations and Star Ruby Ritual. Also, it was no accident that Crowley wrote a liber on duty to stand, along with the Solar Adorations and LBR, as the foundation for his entire order.
The Solar Adorations are performed daily by each and every last one of us. Correctly executing a banishing ritual is to properly perform the Great Work. & The Duties of the Adept are directly synonymous with his or her True Will.

Here's some secret OTO instructions and rituals that might help you with your practices and lessen your need to make any life-long commitments to a dead shell of a corrupt magical order that will probably only have temporary, if any, value to you.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a2007296.html

I also threw in the famous AA trinity of self-initiation rituals, Pyramidos, Tuat and the impossibly rare 7 H K's, along with an original J.Liz map for arranging the Book of Lies into a complete system in 7 scrolls of 13
Adam Kadmon is offline   Reply With Quote