Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Aleister Crowley, Thelema, Crowleyanity, Abrahadabra Discuss anything about the single greatest force in promulgating magick of all time, The Great Beast (Master Therion), a.k.a. V.V.V.V.V (Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici -- "While still living, I have conquered the universe by dint of truth.") and Perdurabo ("I Will endure unto the end.")

Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
The Fool

Default LIBER AL: Book of the Law: proper arrangement of the manuscript sheets

There are many unsolved mysteries regarding the
The_Book_of_the_Law The_Book_of_the_Law
, even to this day. One of them I quote from the last three verses:

73. Paste the sheets from right to left and from top to bottom: then behold!

74. There is a splendour in my name hidden and glorious, as the sun of midnight is ever the son.

75. The ending of the words is the Word Abrahadabra.

This is clearly referring to the actual handwritten manuscript sheets of Liber AL. Until now, I have never seen a satisfactory arrangement suggested before.

The real trick to figuring this out is including the title page for the Book of the Law along with the 65 pages of the actual manuscript. This gives 66 pages. Most versions of Liber AL are published WITHOUT this title page. But it is genuine. You can find all the holographic pages of the original manuscript here.

So knowing that there is another page helps us immensely. You put the title page, which is, naturally, page "0" at the very top (even on the OTO website the title page is named 00.jpg--what else? That is the perfect simplicity of this arrangement: so obvious it was overlooked all these years.) From there you simply follow the instructions, adding one more page at each level. At the end of that you end up with a perfect triangle 11 pages tall, and 11 pages wide at the base.
Can you say Abrahadabra?

I color coded the 3 sections of the Book of the Law for convenience sake, but these pages are clearly too small to read. They just give you an overview of how to layout your own pages.

Some other correspondences I've noticed:

1) It's a triangle, which suggests a pyramid (with very little imagination). Not only a well-known magickal symbol, but Crowley dictated the Book of the Law in Cairo, Egypt (soon after performing rites in the Pyramid of Cheops itself.)
2) The Fool at the top of it all. Very much in the style of the rest of Liber AL. Also look at Crowley's silly drawings--are they not foolish, indeed?
3) The ("scratched line") page 60 (III.16) is in the exact bottom center where a door would naturally be (use your imagination again). So two "keys" are given on this secret door.
4) The right side of the triangle according the page numbers adds to 88, which could be the "splendour" of his name. Splendour is of course Hod, which is Mercury, that is to say the 8th Sephiroth.
5) When you add the pages on the right side of the triangle but only down part way to the end of part one, i.e. the purple section in the photo, it adds to 56 (i.e. Nuit.) Why do that? Because the "scratched line page", i.e. page III. 16, follows the same shape and only goes down seven lines just like Part I goes down seven layers of the triangle.
6) If you bring the "scratched line page" up to the title page, you find the line is the same angle as the right side of the triangle. Also consider the bottom 11 pages of the base correspond to the word ABRAHADABRA. The "line scratched page" corresponds to the letter "A." So where is the "A" in "Liber AL" on the title page? It is missing because at the time Crowley still didn't know how to properly name and number his book, therefore this change moves the the letter "A" up to where it is most needed. [A=1=Tarot Trump 0: The Fool.]
7) The Eye of the Triangle (i.e. the very center two pages) spells "RA" (Ra-Hoor is "speaking" in this passage).

If you follow the traditional arrangement for the original and ancient word "
Abracadabra Abracadabra
."

The first known record of this version of the triangle dates to around 200 AD.

Here is a right side up version with the correct Thelemic spelling:

8. When the "scratched line" page is superimposed with the title page, a Crowley drawing blending Puer (male) and Puella (female) is formed.

The Fool is sexually ambiguous, containing the seeds of both sexes. This portion of the proof is strongest to those who notice and appreciate Crowley's ribald sense of humor in his artwork.

These two pages:

...then become:

The "scratched line" page is at the bottom center of the triangle, or one side of a pyramid if you use your imagination. This is where a door would naturally would be. It seems as if going in this "door" leads you up to the tip top of the pyramid.

Quote:
"51. There are four gates to one palace; the floor of that palace is of silver and gold; lapis lazuli & jasper are there; and all rare scents; jasmine & rose, and the emblems of death. Let him enter in turn or at once the four gates; let him stand on the floor of the palace. Will he not sink? Amn. Ho! warrior, if thy servant sink?"

One should not sink, but RISE, which ties into the numerous Kundalini references in the Book of the Law.

There are many things I'm still working out from last year when I discovered this. I'm hoping this updated post will unclog myself and inspire others to help with more solutions to Liber AL's numerous mysteries.

The Fool

The Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Adeodatus

The title page could be like the secret chambers within a pyramid. Nice

Then I, Oedipus, presented myself, who was ignorant; I consulted no augur, but by a simple effort of reflection silenced the Sphinx.
Adeodatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
UncleAl

Good stuff! Feels right.

I would say however that the eye of the triangle would be the title page, and not necessarily the two middle sheets that spell RA.

It is very interesting that it was called Liber L, totally missing that Aleph, that zero. Hmmm. Damned interesting. The drawing where he gets a phallus is very much in the Crowley style too. So the Fool is Puer + Puella, thus having both sexes which ties into Mercury. Thus Mercury is the Fool, but in a higher, more simplified state.

The circle with an X in it is now near "the Beast" which also feels right. Still, I wish we could make more sense of the drawn line. While I'm sure it is as you say, that it hints at the shape of the sheet layout, there must be something more as well.

Laying them out like Abracadbra, one of the oldest freakin' words in magick, is genius though. That part has to be correct. I used to mess with laying the sheets out as a kid, but I didn't even know there was a title page then.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -- Erwin Rommel
UncleAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Esi_nerab

I remember the old thread on this vaguely. The Abracadabra 66 card layout as per the ancient symbol seems rock solid even after a year of introspection.

Not so sure about the superimposition, though it's a cute idea. Silly enough to warrant the equation with the fool I suppose. Crowley's drawing of a cute stick-figure guy with a happy face does seem kinda buffoon-like.

Esi_nerab is offline   Reply With Quote