Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Beginner's Magick Forum This is a safe haven for magick and occult newbies. The rest of the forums may bite, but here Izabael will assist with beginner's questions on magick and demonology (daemonology).

Old 05-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
nytek

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNative View Post
I'm giving them a push towards the shallow end of the pool versus throwing them to much less accessible works of Crowley.
But not all of Crowley's work is quite as inaccessible as you say; largely being my point. No? Hence my mentioning of Magick Without Tears, Book IV, Magical Record of John St. John, Liber AHA!, or even Konx Om Pax. There are books by Crowley specifically for beginners just like these named, yet you've made no mention of them even now. Instead I notice how you'd skipped them with the rest of Old Crow's work and directed the prospective reader towards the meta-paradigm of advanced sorcery called Chaos magic"K".

Quote:
I love Crowley's work and am proud to have several titles of his on my shelf... but for Magick in general, the aforementioned authors are a good start or INTRODUCTION to magick. I'm not telling aspirants to avoid Uncle Al's work, I'm just suggesting what I think they'll get the most out of in the dawn of their magickal career.
Fair enough. You just seemed opinionated, and I was curious as your recommendation seemed to be at odds with my own.

Quote:
Crowley's work is invaluable, but it's not the best thing to use to introduce someone new to the Occult w/. The other authors are down to Earth, modern occultists, that can speak to the reader in a way they already understand.
True. You're right that there is a bit of acclimatization to reading Crowley for most. He's from a Victorian era of expression, and was raised on the bible, which shows. But I'm not so certain all of his works are equally obtuse however, at least when speaking for myself.

On the aside, one of the good things about Crowley's work is that as you advance you get more out of re-reading it as you begin to notice certain things missed on previous times. As you become initiated the texts open, just like with Konx Om Pax. So I personally still stand by the opinion that Crowley can be useful for beginners although not in every case. Agree to disagree. In any case, I've recommended modern authors as well.

nytek

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious."

--C.G. JUNG

Last edited by nytek; 05-01-2012 at 03:57 PM.
nytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #22
NeoNative

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytek View Post
But not all of Crowley's work is quite as inaccessible as you say; largely being my point. No? Hence my mentioning of Magick Without Tears, Book IV, Magical Record of John St. John, Liber AHA!, or even Konx Om Pax. There are books by Crowley specifically for beginners just like these named, yet you've made no mention of them even now. Instead I notice how you'd skipped them with the rest of Old Crow's work and directed the prospective reader towards the meta-paradigm of advanced sorcery called Chaos magic"K".

Fair enough. You just seemed opinionated, and I was curious as your recommendation seemed to be at odds with my own.

True. You're right that there is a bit of acclimatization to reading Crowley for most. He's from a Victorian era of expression, and was raised on the bible, which shows. But I'm not so certain all of his works are equally obtuse however, at least when speaking for myself.

On the aside, one of the good things about Crowley's work is that as you advance you get more out of re-reading it as you begin to notice certain things missed on previous times. As you become initiated the texts open, just like with Konx Om Pax. So I personally still stand by the opinion that Crowley can be useful for beginners although not in every case. Agree to disagree. In any case, I've recommended modern authors as well.

nytek

If CMT is anything, it's magick-lite since it involves reducing magick to it's foundation.

Some of Crowley's works may be more accessible than others and some people might have a better propensity to decipher and work with the material from the start of their magickal career. However I think suggesting that Crowley's work is not largely inaccessible and needlessly convoluted to new practitioners shows a lack of familiarity with the Uncle Al's work. Anyone can read his works but it doesn't mean everyone can understand them. Orpheus, LMD, and others have made very concise introductions with an eye out for the layperson and people new to the occult scene.

Sometimes it's better not to drink directly from the source but to have it boiled and filtered to avoid illness.

LVX
NeoNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
wartyg96

Hmm....

You forgot Louise. T Culler's Sex Magic Manual... if one can class his book as beginnner.... Donald Michael Kraig also has a Sex Magick book that is of fairly decent quality even if it isn't 100% different from modern magick...

I've heard good things about Dean Wilsons book "Enochian in Theory" and I've talked with him a few times over the webs... Intelligent, and a nice bloke. I plan on getting the book soon...Although maybe Enochian isn't really for beginners...lol.

Donald Tysons Enochian books gotten bad press too...after reading halfway through (I've only read Tysons, DuQuettes and A TINY amount of J.Dee's diaries, I'm new to Enochian) I gotta agree. But DuQuettes book, provided you know the fundamentals is pretty good.
wartyg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
NeoNative

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartyg96 View Post
Hmm....

Donald Tysons Enochian books gotten bad press too...after reading halfway through (I've only read Tysons, DuQuettes and A TINY amount of J.Dee's diaries, I'm new to Enochian) I gotta agree. But DuQuettes book, provided you know the fundamentals is pretty good.
I've got mixed feelings about DMK but for the most part I think his stuff, MM in particular is an OK introduction. The minor errors he made in MM have been corrected online in various areas if anyone does go that route. I'm not sure if the latest printing still has the errors or not. I know the copy I bought almost 9 years ago did.

Tyson just had some theories in there that made him come off as being a little deluded... that book is going to haunt him the rest of his career I think. The work he's done with the Mythos has been very entertaining at least and it feels like he really threw himself into it. The Pseudonomican is worth checking out if anyone is interested in working with the Mythos on a magickal level.

LMD's stuff is great but some of his material gets reprinted in other books but I still think his personal anecdotes are valuable to an extent. His "dare to be lazy" motto is helpful for a lot of people that would otherwise be deterred from trying the work without the appropriate props, etc.

I'm not familiar with Culler but I'll look into the work.

LVX
NeoNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
wartyg96

Cullers book is a work on using Sex magick in correspondance with the HGA.

I'm with you on DMK...

As for Tyson, He IS deluded. lol.
Tysons sex magick book was good, to be fair. But apparently in his book on the Runes he places the NORSE GODS under Arch Angels.

As a polytheist I disagree intently there. A friend of mine took particular insult and will never read him again lol

Agreed with Lon... His book, the secret lover, had a lot of potential I think, an excellent beginning. But sadly it died towards the end...

Glorius art thou, Thine lady behind the Veil of Purity, Queen of the silvered waters, Shining in the heavens as the Celestial Serpent!
Great, is the Goddesses Kebetchet

Hail to thy name, Thy Jackal of the mountain, Seasoned traveller of the Heavens, Prince of the gates and keeper of mine heart, Hail to thou, lord of the true twilight!
Great is the Name, Anpu

Infinite is thine light, She whom cries in the wrath of spirit, Divine justice, lady of the ever burning flame eternal, Beautiful is she of the red deserts, Eternal is her Greatness, Hail to thou, Lady of Justice
Eternally, thou art Sekhmet!

Oh Thou neteru, Mine masters behold that ectasy be induced at the thought of thy names within the heart of thine disciple!
wartyg96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
Adam Kadmon

Yay! A very fun list.

Some of these never before published secret instructions for the Minerval through Fifth degree and beyond also make for a good read. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a2007296.html
Adam Kadmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
myst moonlight

Lightbulb

personaly I recomend:

solitary witch by silver raven wolf as well as her book to ride a silver broomstick.

By night heís the wild windís rider,
The Horníd One, the Lord of the shades,
By day heís the King of the Woodlands,
The dweller in green forest glades.

She is youthful or old as she pleases,
She sails the torn clouds in her barque,
The bright silver lady of midnight,
The crone who weaves spells in the dark.
myst moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
panas emerald

personally I also recommend:

1) Learning Ritual Magic Fundamental Theory and Practice for the Solitary Apprentice .

2) Making Talismans Living Entities of Power .

3) Initiation into Hermetics - Franz Bardon .

4) The Sorcerer's Secrets: Strategies in Practical Magick.

panas emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
meche

Thumbs up

"Here is a list of beginner's material and things for beginners to steep their minds in. It's in no way meant as a complete list, and that in mind, now I invite everyone to fill in the blanks according to their wisdom. I've provided links to what I've posted where I could and where I've felt like it.

Enjoy."

Excellent list; might I humbly recommend "Protection & Reversal Magick" by Jason Miller. The novice and adepts can read it and do the work. Very plainly laid out with explicit warnings and cautions for the dabblers.
meche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #30
Jacques Scarlette

Nytek, thanks for compiling the list, but most of the links are now expired. I can start looking for physical copies, but having them online (and free) is a huge boon.
Jacques Scarlette is offline   Reply With Quote