Looking for Wisdom? Welcome to The Fool Speaks: Magick, Mayhem, Goetia, and the Occult Forums!

You must register before you can post. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the list below.

Member Login:

Aleister Crowley, Thelema, Crowleyanity, Abrahadabra Discuss anything about the single greatest force in promulgating magick of all time, The Great Beast (Master Therion), a.k.a. V.V.V.V.V (Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici -- "While still living, I have conquered the universe by dint of truth.") and Perdurabo ("I Will endure unto the end.")

Old 06-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Phoso

Default Golden Dawn and OTO

Which would you say Aleister Crowley gathered the most 'inspiration' from, Golden Dawn or OTO?

I know he rapidly moved through the stages of both, but the Golden Dawn probably lead him to connect more to the outside forces; And Aleister Crowley certainly became known through his channelings with Aiwass and the like.

I cant remeber who showed him "the sacred magic of abramelin the mage," (Mathers?), but i know when he attempted that ritual it had a strong effect on him therafter.

Phoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
hecate 8

I would say the Golden Dawn, but that's certainly debatable.

Free or drug free? America can't be both!:
hecate 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
GoreFangs

most likley golden dawn, He had access to all their books and works, and the O.T.O came second.. If he had gotten copies of all the GD works and just sat on them re-wrote them etc.

He was in golden dawn for 14 years and OTO for 8. and most the time as a leader of the OTO.. so he would have already had enough proficiency to impress them to be a leader that quick.
GoreFangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Bataivah

I think his biggest inspiration was drugs. Not that it matters either way.
Bataivah is offline   Reply With Quote